Last year was a watershed year for the mortgage servicing industry. From the implementation of new mortgage servicing rules to the progression of important of important case law, the developments of 2017 will shape the way that the industry does business for years to come. On Thursday, January 25, the Legal League 100 hosted a new webinar breaking down the biggest case law decisions and regulations of 2017, with presentations from nearly a half dozen LL100 member firms.
The Legal League 100 presented “The Year in Review: Biggest Case Law Decisions & Regulations of 2017,” featuring presentations from nearly a half dozen Legal League 100 member firms, including Gilbert Garcia Group, P.A.; Hladik, Onorato & Federman, LLP; Laurito & Laurito, LLC; McCalla Raymer Leibert Pierce, LLC; and Schiller, Knapp, Lefkowitz & Hertzel, LLP.
"The Legal League 100 is excited to provide the industry with these educational opportunities," said Derek Templeton, Executive Director of the Legal League 100. "We look forward to showcasing the subject matter expertise of our membership throughout 2018."
You can view the webinar by clicking here.
The webinar is one of a series of Legal League 100 webinars planned for 2018, with one rolling out per month from January through July. The current lineup is as follows:
- February 22—Developments in Vacant and Abandoned Property Law: State statutes in effect, states with legislation pending, and an overview of what a model definition of "vacant" or "abandoned" property should be on a national level.
- March 29—Legal Issues With Lending in a Digital Age—E-signatures of mortgages, notarization of e-documents, effect of technology on origination and enforcement.
- April 26—Complex Default Litigation Update: Latest issues being litigated under UDAP, FDCPA, RESPA, and foreclosure.
- May 31—Updates on Current Litigation, Regulations, and Property Registrations: Recent case law, plus current litigation issues faced by servicers with regard to affirmative lawsuits being filed by borrowers for damages for wrongful eviction and/or wrongful disposition of personal property.
- June 28—2018 Bankruptcy Update: Current case law issues, new bankruptcy rules, and the implementation of a national Chapter 13 plan.
- July 26—Governmental Agency Requirements and Title Issues: Regulatory framework for making claims to HUD and the VA, issues faced, reconveyance requirements and cures.
The Legal League 100, a professional association of default servicing law firms and service providers founded in 2007, also hosts the Legal League 100 Spring Servicer Summit in Dallas, Texas, from April 1 - May 1. You can get more information about that event by clicking here.
To find out more about some of the biggest legal developments of 2017, check out the January 2018 Black Book issue of DS News magazine, out now.